Who does not want health, wealth, happiness, and success in life? The book Napoleon Hill’s Action Activities: for Health, Wealth, and Happiness is an official publication of the Napoleon Hill Foundation to continue his legacy of leadership. It includes excerpts from his books as well as ideas for ways to apply his teachings in today’s world.
Attributes of Personal Initiative include:
- Adoption of a definite major purpose
- Motivation to inspire continuous action toward that purpose
- Self-discipline and persistence to keep moving forward
- Habit of going the extra mile
- Capacity to concentrate your full attention on one task at a time
- A positive mental attitude at all times
- Habit of following through with any task once begun
Anything worth having is worth pursuing. According to Hill, the desires would not be placed in us unless we had the potential to achieve them.
Have a world vision that is larger than yourself. Give yourself away for a cause that is greater than you. This must be something you willingly give to others because you find it rewarding.
Many innkeepers decide to become B&B owners and hosts because of their desire to help their guests feel welcome. Proprietors also have the opportunity to promote their local area.
Magnificent Outcome (M.O.):
- What you desire: Who am I? What is my special calling? Innkeepers may ask, “How can my inn reflect the talents and gifts that are uniquely my own?”
- How you will achieve it: What positive dream engages my mind, monopolizes my thoughts, and pushes me forward? What is it I would do for the sole enjoyment of doing?
- The positive outcome you can expect to achieve for staying the course: How, when, and where do I envision my magnificent outcome?
There is a sense of satisfaction that comes from using your unique talents and gifts. Your gifts could include teaching a cooking class, guiding guests on local trails, giving yoga instruction, hosting private parties, demonstrating art techniques in your retreat, coordinating weddings, leading conferences, and so much more. The key is to choose the things that you love doing and that will help your inn to stand out from your competition.
Habits Are the Stairway to a Richer Life
You can see many outcomes in your life (and the lives of others) based upon examining personal habits. When habits are entrenched, people operate on autopilot. Little brain power is involved in recalling these habits once learned.
Little actions taken over time create profound lifetime habits that determine our destiny. Through our simple daily actions we create the patterns that become automatic through repetition in our lives. Habits of action will create the life you choose to live one step at a time.
“A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances.” (Napoleon Hill)
Habits begin with thought. Look for the positive (rather than the negative). Look for something to praise (rather than something to complain about). Our thoughts shape our world and, in turn, shape our earthly destiny.
The 12 Riches of Life:
- A positive mental attitude
- Sound physical health
- Harmony in human relationships
- Freedom from fear
- The capacity for faith
- Willingness to share one’s blessings
- A labor of love
- An open mind on all subjects
- The capacity to understand people
- Financial security
When we discipline ourselves, our life goes better. Our lives are the results of the choices we make. When we delay gratification, we can reach higher, more ideal levels of performance. Self-discipline begins with the mastery of our thoughts. Self-discipline enables you to think first and act afterward.
Develop the Habit of Going the Extra Mile:
- Do more than you are paid for
- When you sow the seeds of excellent service, you reap the harvest
- Listen to those around you to see if you can uplift them in some way
- Do something special for someone else
Going the extra mile is related to the hospitality that innkeepers extend to their guests. Innkeepers seem to be blessed with the seemingly effortless ability to anticipate the needs of their guests. I admire their dedication to go above and beyond guest expectations.
Live Life to the Fullest:
- Celebrate the beauty of life and cherish the time given to you
- Choose life each moment and live it to your fullest potential
- Think good thoughts and keep focused on advancing your life
- Memorize and recite positive affirmations and quotes
- Express heartfelt gratitude for what you already have
- Make time for relaxation and fun
- Read biographies of successful people
- Identify positive attributes that you want to develop
- Move beyond your comfort zone to expand your horizons
- Share your blessings and be a giver
- Be true to your calling by defining your purpose and acting upon it
- Focus on completion and not perfection
- Bloom when you are ready
“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.” (Napoleon Hill)
I believe it is important to continue to read and learn throughout your life. I read more books now than I did in college and graduate school! I love that this book encourages readers to continue to develop your mind and your habits because that influences your destiny. Napoleon Hill lived an inspirational life and his legacy continues through his foundation.