Make it all about them. Make it all about your bed and breakfast guests. Author Bruce Turkel, in his insightful book All about Them: Grow Your Business by Focusing on Others makes it clear that what really matters to consumers is their own self-interest. Business owners (including innkeepers) can use that knowledge to make their businesses (specifically bed and breakfasts) about the people they are trying to reach (potential guests).
Author Bruce Turkel states that successful businesses created for today’s “all about them” economy realize what you do is less important than identifying who you are and why that resonates with current and potential customers (guests).
Turkel stresses that “good brands make you feel good, but great brands make you feel good about yourself.” Things sell not because of what they can do, but because of how they make consumers feel.
What attracts business to you and separates you from the competition (other accommodations)? Understand exactly what your customers are buying. What do you provide that they cannot find anywhere else?
Figure out who you are and what you stand for then communicate that identity. Translate your message into customer centered communication that resonates with your audience.
What opportunities does your business provide for increasing customer satisfaction and company revenue? What do you stand for? Can you describe that in just a few words? To determine what those few words are, Turkel recommends you consider five components.
- First, write down your company features and benefits. This means everything you and your business offer including products, services, talents, skills, experiences, and so on.
- Then write down your points of distinction. What sets you apart from your competition? What do your clients identify about you?
- Next, focus on the functional side of your business. What features and attributes do you offer?
- Then focus on the emotional side of your business. How do your customers feel?
- Lastly, this is when you can take reflect upon that information and know what you stand for and know who you are. This is your brand promise.
Innkeepers, do you make it all about your bed and breakfast guests? Do potential guests know how you are different from other accommodations in your area?
If you need help defining what makes your inn unique, so you stand out from other lodging choices, the Bed and Breakfast Blogging team is here to help. Contact Kristi Dement for a free consultation today and she can start help you share your inn’s story with the world!