Insightful questions can lead to remarkable results. It is amazing how just thinking about the answers to questions (like the following listed below), can give innkeepers more clarity about what should be their priorities. It is important to regularly examine your goals (as well as the reasoning behind those goals).
- What do you (and your inn) have to offer? (like innkeeper strengths & on-site amenities)
- What do you excel at? (culinary skills, event management, hospitality, teaching, organization, property management, etc.)
- Is your inn known for something? (the best place for…)
- Do you have a mission statement or overall goal? (why do you exist?)
- What is your focus? (this depends upon your inn’s purpose)
- Who do you serve? (these are your current guests)
- Who needs what you offer? (these are your ideal guests)
- What problems do you solve? (this can explain why people visit you)
- Why should they want your accommodations and services? (the benefits you offer)
- What would make a lasting difference in your guests’ lives? (how you encourage repeat visits)
- How do you (or will you) get your message across? (blog, social media, website, advertisements, press, etc.)
- How do you (or will you) follow up to guest inquiries? (do you note who called and the questions they asked?)
- Do you stay in touch with your guests? If so, how and how often? (weekly or monthly email list, mailing list, phone call, text, etc.)
- Going forward, what is your plan of action? (how can you attract more of your ideal audience?)
It is a good idea to have a little notebook with you to record any random (yet potentially useful) thought that comes into your head. You never know when you may think of the next big thing your inn could do or offer!
Guests are also a great source of information and inspiration. What do your guests compliment you about that you do have (or provide)? What do your guests ask you about that you currently do not have (or provide)? Read over your guest reviews as well as reflect upon what they have told you in person. Thus, insightful questions can lead to remarkable results!