How To Make a Successful Bed and Breakfast Press Kit
A successful bed and breakfast press kit can increase your inn’s likelihood for receiving media attention. Wondering what is a press kit? It is a package of media about your inn that makes it easier for a journalist or reporter to do a story about your bed and breakfast.
When you do most of the work for reporters up front, they will be more receptive to your pitch for press for their website, publication, or news story. In addition, it looks more professional and makes your bed and breakfast more appealing to write about.
Consider adding a press kit link on your website. “Are you a journalist working on a story about inns or bed and breakfasts? We would be happy to help you with your story or article.”
Your valuable bed and breakfast press kit can include:
- Contact’s name, phone number, and email address (the owner, innkeeper, public relations person)
- High resolution photos (your gorgeous view, the outside of your inn, your guest rooms and common rooms, the best breakfasts meals you serve, etc.)
- Map of your local area (and its nearby attractions)
- Brief history of your inn (its location, year it was built, original owners, type of architecture, its history as a bed and breakfast, etc.)
- Innkeepers/owners story (share your story or how your B&B came to be, a little about yourself and your team, and why you’re doing what you’re doing)
- Pictures of your luxurious amenities (such as a pool or private hot tub, fireplace, library, spa, garden, etc.)
- Current promotions (your own specials, custom packages, and description of private events you host like weddings, etc.)
- Awards received (from bed and breakfast associations, contests won, your AAA Diamond rating, your BBB grade, etc.)
- Online guest reviews (share links to positive guest testimonials)
- Your blog (which features local activities and area events)
- Existing press coverage (list of and links to articles in newspapers, magazines, and online attention)
- Videos (made about your B&B or that you had filmed to promote your inn)
Include anything you think will enhance your reputation as providing exceptional hospitality. This is your opportunity make it accessible for the press to report about your bed and breakfast. Even curious potential guests will be impressed by it when they see it.
Having an available press kit, makes you media friendly and more likely to get more publicity for your inn. If you do not mind members of the press coming to your bed and breakfast to interview you and/or make a video, then be sure to state that on-site tours can be arranged. There is nothing better than free publicity!
Image by Marcus Berg of Unique Angles PhotographyFollow B&B Blogging on Social Media