Are You Media Friendly?
Are you media friendly? Why not make it easy for a journalist or reporter to do a story on your bed and breakfast? Have a press kit on your website. Consider asking, “Are you a journalist working on a story about inns or bed and breakfasts? We would love to help you with your story or article.”
The press kit can include:
- Media contact‘s name, phone number, e-mail address (owner, innkeeper, public relations person for your B&B)
- The history of the bed and breakfast: location, year it was built, original owners, type of architecture, date it became a bed and breakfast, etc.
- Information about the innkeepers/owners: where they are originally from, their career history, their hobbies, pets, kids, etc.
- Awards you and your B&B have received: from bed and breakfast associations, cooking contests won, your AAA rating, your Better Business Bureau grade, etc.
- Press coverage: list of and link to articles in newspapers, magazines, online attention
- High resolution photos of the inside including the rooms as well as the outside of the bed and breakfast as well as the best breakfasts and other food you serve
- Map of area and nearby attractions
- Videos made about your B&B or ones that you have had filmed to promote your bed and breakfast
- Amenities: private hot tub, fireplace, library, spa, garden, etc.
- Current promotions: such as special packages and upcoming events like weddings
- Online guest reviews: share positive guest testimonials
- Your blog
Anything that you think will enhance your reputation as providing exceptional hospitality, this is your opportunity make it accessible for the press to report on it. Even curious potential guests will be impressed by it when they see it.
If you do not mind members of the press coming to your bed and breakfast to interview you and/or make a video, then be sure to state that on-site tours can be arranged. There is nothing better than free publicity! Then the press will not have to ask, “Are you media friendly?”
Image by Marcus Berg of Unique Angles PhotographyFollow B&B Blogging on Social Media