How to Have a Better Bed and Breakfast Blog
Want a better bed and breakfast blog? Here are some top hospitality blogging tips to attracting more readers and more business to your inn.
Be sure to blog about WHY people visit you. Because it could be for a variety of reasons, I am going to list some possible reasons. Each of those reasons can be a blog post! Mentally answer the questions as you read on.
Your LOCATION could be a big reason as to why guests stay with you. Whether you offer a secluded place for them to get away from it all (a peaceful place for relaxation and romance) or exciting urban accommodations with lots to do (a thriving place for fun and entertainment), your location could be a factor.
- What, if any, major attractions are in your area?
- What are the top 3 reasons that people come to your city?
Your AMENITIES can play a vital role in why people choose to stay with you. Guests appreciate being able to experience luxuries they don’t necessarily have in their everyday lives.
- What amenities do you have?
- Do you list your amenities on your website?
Your EVENTS that you host can attract guests. Whether you host private parties, weddings, or other special events, this can attract people to become overnight guests.
- What events do you host?
- Do you have a blog post (or web page) about each event you host?
Your REPUTATION for hospitality is another compelling reason. Word of mouth can be very powerful as a way to attract new guests. When we have an enjoyable time doing something, it is only natural to bring it up in conversation with another person.
- What is it about your hospitality that sets you apart from other inns?
- Do you monitor what is being said about you and your inn online?
Your FOOD can be a major pull factor when it comes to attracting more guests. If you are one of the inns that also has a restaurant open to the public, that is another way to become known. First they dine with you, then they decide to become overnight guests. However, those who do not have restaurants can also do extra things like offer 24/7 access to refreshments.
- Do you have a wine and cheese hour or a special time of the day for tea and goodies?
- Are you able to accommodate those with special dietary needs?
Your PACKAGES can also contribute to why guests decide to stay with you versus your local competitors. Guests appreciate having things already arranged ahead of time.
- Do you offer packages that include things like event tickets, restaurant gift certificates, local walking tours, etc.?
- Do you offer themed packages like romance or adventure?
Give people a SNEAK PEEK into life at your inn. Many famous tourist attractions like Disney and The Biltmore Estate offer Behind the Scenes tours. You could share pictures, videos, and stories of what happens at your B&B.
- Share things that ONLY you or your inn has (more details about your guest rooms, previous residents, the current innkeepers, etc.)
- Share funny things that happen (amusing little pranks staff members pull on each other, or comical things with guests such as two people who don’t know each other yet show up to breakfast wearing the same shirt)
Answer frequently asked questions in your blog posts. If you get asked the same questions over and over, how about answer those questions before your guests even arrive at your inn!
- The number of miles (and estimated drive time) to key points of interest that guests may want to visit in your area
- How you do breakfast at your inn (time, typical menu options, in-room delivery of breakfast, etc.)
- Checking in and check out procedures as well as coming and going during their stay with you
Creatively add other unique content to your blog posts, including any of the following:
- Recipes of things you make here at the inn
- Tips about your local area including restaurants and attractions
- Your very own Top 10 List that relates to your B&B or local area
One of the most important aspects of blogging, is to consistently do it. The search engines reward fresh content by making it more visible online. Plus, you are keeping in touch with people and staying on their radar. Remind previous guest about why they should come back again and compel new people to visit for the very first time.
Another strong factor in having a better bed and breakfast blog is sharing pictures and videos. “A pictures is worth a thousand words.” Guests want to know what they can expect before they come to your inn!
You are welcome to put a link to YOUR bed and breakfast blog in the comments below and share what works well for you. If you do not have a blog (or do not consistently blog), feel free to contact me for advice.
Image by Marcus Berg of Unique Angles Photography